01 August 2006

Avast Ye Matey...


Sunday we travelled the couple of hours north to Green Bay to tour 16 Tall Ships in the harbor there. Let me tell ya, it was awesome! These ships are either actual or recreations of historical ships, one of my favourite being this one here...the Nina. Yep, one of Christopher Columbus' ships. The cool thing is that is was built by the same family that built the original, in the same method. You have to love history like that. Some of the ships had been used during the War of 1812 or earlier, another was a Russian ship that somewhat resembled a Viking longboat.

It has always been a dream of mine, since I was a little girl, to sail the world. To be a part of that kind of adventure still calls to me, and I found myself oh so envious of the crews on each of these ships. Perhaps someday I can actually make it reality, but in the meantime, I'll just have to dream about the High Seas...and Jack Sparrow.

No comments: