26 December 2011

A Challenge ...Austen Style!

I've always loved to read.  I was a very early reader.  I still love to, even though I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like, but I make the time every night before going to sleep, no matter what time it is. 
So I decided to look for a Reading Challenge for 2012, and wouldn't you know the very first one I came across was a Jane Austen-inspired one?  

I like that is has 8 genres you have to read from, not just Jane's books.

  • Variation Stories: An example of this would be "Darcy's Voyage" by Kara Louise. Essentially this category is for writers who have taken the original story, and changed it. 

  • Sequel: An example of this would be books by Rebecca Ann Collins, books that follow the Darcy's or Knightly's or whomever after the original story ends. 

  • Jane Austen as a Fictional Character: 

  • Paranormal: An example of this would be "Jane and the Damned" by Janet Mullany. These are stories in which Jane Austen characters, or Jane herself, become or interact with vampires, sea monsters, etc.

  • Modern Adaptation: An example of this would be "Persuading Annie" by Melissa Nathan. Jane Austen's stories written in a modern time frame.

  • Mystery: A great series is the Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries by Carrie Bebris.

  • Supporting Characters: These are books based on the supporting characters in the book such as Georgiana, Charlotte Lucas, etc. An example would be "Charlotte Collins" by Jennifer Becton

  • Books by Jane Austen: Many of you have become Austen fans through the movies, or maybe you are a die hard Pride and Prejudice fanatic. Read a novel by Jane: Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, Persuasion or Sense and Sensibility. You could even read one of the incomplete works, such as Lady Susan, to complete this challenge.

  •  The hardest part of this challenge, for me, is finding books I haven't read already!  Anyone up for joining me in this challenge? Let me know!
    Here the link to the main info page: http://existingstricky.blogspot.com/2011/12/explore-many-genres-of-jane-austen.html

    1 comment:

    Kanga said...

    I think I would be up for this challenge! You know me and reading! ;)