10 March 2009

Can You Hear the People Sing?


This week is the opening of kidlet's school musical "Les Miserables". I was roped into helping with costumes, and after previewing last night's rehearsal, I have to same, I'm impressed! Some of the kids really do have amazing voices. The orchestra = phenomenal. (Seriously, it was like listening to the soundtrack.) And the costumes...well, what can I say? For a high school that consisted entirely of adapting modern pieces to making them look period appropriate, I had to pat myself on the back, they looked pretty darn awesome! I was proud of the kidlet as she really knows how to react & throw focus on stage (something many of her classmates could take a lesson from). As with almost ANY production there are always choices that are made that I have opinions about. (Mostly I hate front of curtain staging...there is nothing worse to me than seeing someone who just died on stage get up on the not-dark-enough stage & walk off...and in Les Miz almost EVERYONE dies!) I'm looking forward to seeing the opening night on Thursday when all those technical kinks are worked out. Sometimes I regret not becoming a high school drama teacher...and then I think of the time commitment and am glad to just be an involved parent.

1 comment:

Kimmer said...

I wish that I could be there to "Hear the Pookie Sing"! Who will be strong and stand with me?....